Friday, September 07, 2007

Social Networking - Professional Style

We all know about MySpace and Face Book, as well as other social networking sites, but what about for business professionals? In a world where you want to know as many people as possible for professional advancement, you need something a bit more refined than Dane Cook talking about Kool-Aid. Not that I have anything against Dane Cook, but it's not exactly what I want a potential future employer to see in 'my space'.

This is where LinkedIn comes in. For those of you who are not familiar with LinkedIn, their mission
"is to help you be more effective in your daily work and open doors to opportunities using the professional relationships you already have."

According to their website they have over 13 million experienced professionals from around the world, representing 150 different industries. Linked in is free to join, although they do offer paid accounts with more features.

The site features the ability for you to connect to your contacts directly through your webmail account (GMail, AOL, Yahoo, etc.), and once you make your connections, you can ask someone in your network to introduce you to someone in their's. It's a simple concept, and can really open doors for someone looking for new opportunities.

If you're never been to LinkedIn before why don't you check it out now by clicking here, or better yet, click on the LinkedIn button you see at the top of this post, and you can see just what it is that I do (when I'm not writing here of course).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard about LinkedIn, but never signed up before. I am new to social marketing, but this seems like a good place to start. Thanks for the post, and look for my request to connect on LinkedIn.

Mary

Anonymous said...

what's wrong with Dane Cook? SU-FI baby! I'd be proud to tell any employer that i am a Dane fan. Don't dis the master. the stuff on social networking is true thou you need to connect w/people to get your name out there.

Anonymous said...

artie again....love the stuff about starbucks. classic. lmao

kevinmhuff said...

I think you hit the #1 professional social media site right on the head. LinkedIn. I know there are others like Plaxo, etc. but as a LinkedIn member with just over 200 connections, I can only tout its brilliant design for professional networking. Good rant, Kevin!