Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Why Haven't You Switched?

This blog post is a little different. I'm not talking about social networking, nor am I ranting about anything (I may even change the title of this blog given some of my more recent posts). That's a different post altogether.

This one is about light. More specifically lightbulbs and how they have changed in the past few years. For those of you still in the dark (sorry, I couldn't resist), there are new lightbulbs available for your home which don't require any changes to the fixtures you already have, and while they do cost a little more, they last up to ten times as long. What am I talking about? CFLs of course. Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs. I could spend the next few pages describing what they are, and how they will save you money, but that would be boring.

Instead, why don't you watch the short video clip below. Lee LeFever has this really cool way of explaining things, and making sense out of sometimes confusing topics. Check it out, and make sure to drop me a line to let me know if you've switched.

8 comments:

jasonbbailey said...

Wow! I had no idea! I am switching!!!

What a great video. I am going to pass this along to all of my friends and family.

Thank you Kevin!

kevinmhuff said...

Can't agree more. I was pleasantly surprised last week when shopping at a big-box retailer...they now have the fluorescent floodlights in stock!

Thanks for making a great argument for why we should all switch...environment or not!

Jaye said...

I switched all of the bulbs in my apartment last June. My room mate has a habit of running out of the house without turning lights off and reading or watching TV with every light in the apartment on. Since the switch, our electricity bill has decreased DRAMATICALLY! I convinced the girls upstairs to make the switch and now my landlord is switching ALL of the bulbs in ALL of his apartment buildings! These little swirly fellas make such a difference!

Jaye said...

P.S- A CFL bulb makes the perfect topper to any Holiday present instead of a bow!

kevinmhuff said...

Just a follow-up to let you know not only have I switched (thanks for the urging!) but many who come to our house have commented either in favor or in question of why we switched, allowing me to sell them on the idea as well!

Juicing for Health said...

I have jumped on the bandwagon. I just wish that all of the bulbs lasted ten times longer! I bought the bulbs about 4 months ago and one blew in my bathroom last week.

I don't mind paying a little extra to help the environment; however, I want the promise of longevity to mean something.

vcustis said...

Kevin, the CFLs really does work. I have been using them for about three months and I seen a reduction in our light bill. I have not completely switched over, but plan to complete the process within the next three weeks. Why wait? Just too busy and I try to do things when I am off at least two days straight! I know...excuses.

vcustis said...

The video was excellent!! It was very easy to understand and I loved the props (visual effects) used to demonstrate the message.